2018 Graduate Education | International Affairs
THIS GUIDE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. For the current FP Guide, click here.
SOAS UNIVERSITY OF LONDON
Each year, hundreds of students from around the world study on the campus of SOAS University of London. In addition, more than 3,000 students from more than 160 different countries pursue advanced degrees online.
SOAS, a public research institution within the University of London, offers a wide range of master’s degrees in international affairs designed specifically for study by distance learners. Students anywhere in the world may pursue an advanced degree at their own pace and build a global network of professional contacts, with the flexibility to study around their professional and personal commitments.
SOAS offers the largest concentration in Europe of faculty engaged in the study of Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Its postgraduate programs (known as graduate programs in the U.S.) combine languages, interdisciplinary expertise, and regional focus. SOAS students are encouraged to develop a truly global perspective and are uniquely placed to inform and shape current thinking about the economic, political, cultural, security, and religious challenges in society.
In the field of Development Studies, SOAS offers a wide variety of MSc programs on campus and online, focusing on environment, sustainability, migration, and more. For example, the online MSc in Climate Change and Development program offers critical insight into how current development models produce environmental problems, such as climate change, which themselves threaten the objectives of development. It helps students hone the analytical skills to solve adaptation problems and identify low-carbon development options.
The Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy at SOAS offers the MA in Global Diplomacy, MA in Global Diplomacy: South Asia, and MA in Global Diplomacy: MENA, which focuses on the Middle East and North Africa.
The Centre’s online MSc in Global Corporations and Policy aims to prepare students for a variety of roles in government, international organizations, NGOs, multinational corporations, trade unions, and advocacy organizations. The MSc in Global Energy and Climate Policy, available on campus and also online, focuses on policy and policymaking as the keys to enabling change and creating the necessary legal and regulatory environment for low-carbon energy systems of the future to develop and grow.
The online MA in Muslim Minorities in a Global Context focuses on the challenges faced by Muslim minority communities and their host societies. It employs a highly interdisciplinary approach to examine the debates surrounding the places of religious minorities in secular societies.
Campus-based programs in Politics and International Studies include theme-based degrees, such as the MSc in Politics of Conflict, Rights and Justice, as well as interdisciplinary region-based degrees. The MA in Near and Middle Eastern Studies, for example, offers courses in history, geography, politics, economics, history, religion, anthropology, and more. Language options include Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, and Turkish.
Other programs focusing on specific parts of the Middle East include MA degrees in Iranian, Turkish, Israeli, or Palestine Studies, as well as the MA in Gender Studies with special reference to the Middle East.
Students often choose the MA in African Studies program for a chance to explore the history, culture, or political economy of a particular region of Africa. Many go on to work in Africa or in fields related to the continent.
SOAS offers the most comprehensive MA in Japanese Studies available anywhere in Europe, as well as MA programs in Chinese, Taiwan, or Korean Studies. In addition to the MA in Southeast Asian Studies, SOAS offers a one-year MA in South Asian Area Studies, a two-year MA in Intensive South Asian Studies, and the online MA in Global Diplomacy: South Asia. Additional programs include the MA in the Study of Contemporary Pakistan and the MSc in Contemporary India Studies.
Offers a wide range of degrees, including master’s degrees in the fields of:
- Area Studies (Africa, Asia, and the Middle East)
- Development Studies
- Economics, Finance, and Management
- International Studies and Diplomacy
- Politics and International Studies
Online degrees include:
- MA Global Diplomacy
- MA Global Diplomacy: MENA (Middle East and North Africa)
- MA Global Diplomacy: South Asia
- MA Muslim Minorities in a Global Context
- MSc Global Corporations and Policy
- MSc Global Energy and Climate Policy
- MSc Climate Change and Development
Visit the Request Info page to receive more information.
- 2018 Graduate Education | International Affairs
- Johns Hopkins University, School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)
- UC San Diego, School of Global Policy and Strategy (GPS)
- NYU School of Professional Studies, Center for Global Affairs
- University of Notre Dame, Keough School of Global Affairs
- Georgetown University, Walsh School of Foreign Service (SFS)
- SOAS University of London
- Yale University, Jackson Institute for Global Affairs
- University of Kent, Brussels School of International Studies (BSIS)
- Seton Hall University, School of Diplomacy and International Relations
- The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University
- University of Denver, Josef Korbel School of International Studies
- Arizona State University, Center on the Future of War