2022 Applying to Graduate School in International Affairs
THIS GUIDE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. For the current FP Guide, click here.
Indiana University, Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies
Strategic Languages, Social Awareness Combine in Training of New Global Leaders
The Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies at Indiana University prepares its graduates with advanced knowledge of at least one world language as well as multidisciplinary expertise in either international affairs or a strategic world region.
One of the largest international affairs schools in the country, the Hamilton Lugar School leads the United States in Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships, with more than 80 languages offered at the school and across Indiana University. The prestigious US Department of Education‑funded FLAS fellowships carry generous stipends and tuition benefits and support the development of cultural fluency and global expertise in nearly every area of the world, including Africa, East Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, and Russia and Central Asia.
With 66 pathways at the Hamilton Lugar School, including master’s degrees, certificates, PhD programs, and dual-degree options with professional schools, students have the opportunity to create their own path.
Training the next generation of leaders committed to global engagement is the central aim of the school, named for former Rep. Lee H. Hamilton and the late Sen. Richard G. Lugar, Presidential Medal of Freedom recipients and two of the most influential foreign policy voices of their generation.
“Students graduate as emerging leaders and experts in their areas of study, with a remarkable depth of knowledge and experience in some of the most sought-after fields. Our graduates are among the top recipients of Boren Awards and other government fellowships, including Fulbrights. They hold positions in foreign, defense, and intelligence policy, and play leading roles at nongovernmental organizations, research organizations, and in the private sector,” says Shruti Rana, senior assistant dean for curricular and undergraduate affairs and diversity officer.
PROGRAM HIGHLIGHT | Gain Mastery in Languages and Area Studies
The Hamilton Lugar School’s MA and MS degrees in International Studies prepare students for careers of international scope in the public and private sectors. International Studies students develop social awareness, foreign language competency, quantitative skills, and deep knowledge of critical world issues. Graduates also pursue academic and research-oriented careers. In addition, the Hamilton Lugar School offers an MA in 11 specific area studies programs to gain mastery of languages and areas critical to the U.S. government. Graduates of the MA in Russian and East European Studies program, for example, become intelligence and foreign area officers for the U.S. military, hold key positions in the State Department and FBI, serve on congressional staffs, and are employed by global consultancies, companies, and think tanks.
Graduate Degree Program Options
• African Studies, MA
• Central Eurasian Studies, MA
• Chinese, MA
• East Asian Studies, MA
• European Studies, MA
• International Affairs, MIA
• International Studies, MA, MS
• Japanese, MA
• Latin American and Caribbean Studies, MA
• Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures, MA
• Russian and East European Studies, MA
• Central Eurasian Studies, PhD
• Chinese, PhD
• Japanese, PhD
• Middle Eastern Languages & Cultures, PhD
Deadlines for Fall 2023
Application Deadline: December 1, 2022*
*Deadline varies by program. Visit the school’s website for details.
Standardized Exam Scores: GRE requirements vary by each program. The TOEFL/IELTS is required for non-native English speakers.
Recommendation Letters: Three are required.
- 2022 Applying to Graduate School in International Affairs
- George Mason University, Schar School of Policy and Government
- Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies
- Yale University, Yale Jackson School of Global Affairs
- Arizona State University, Thunderbird School of Global Management
- Rice University, School of Social Sciences
- University of Notre Dame, Keough School of Global Affairs
- American University, School of International Service
- Indiana University, Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies
- Texas A&M University, Bush School of Government & Public Service
- University of Miami, Master of Arts in International Administration
- Princeton University, Princeton School of Public and International Affairs
- The Fletcher School at Tufts University
- University of Toronto, Munk School of Global Affairs & Public Policy
- Florida International University, Steven J. Green School of International & Public Affairs
- Carnegie Mellon University, Institute for Politics and Strategy