2016 Applying to Grad School
THIS GUIDE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. For the current FP Guide, click here.
Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
Sadia Khan, Director of Global Admissions
What characteristics make for a successful applicant to the Middlebury Institute?
We look for applicants who are innovative and strategic thinkers with a keen sense of social justice and creative problem-solving skills. They should feel inspired by a collaborative learning environment and have a desire to build on the language and cultural competency skills that will ensure their professional success in a rapidly changing global community.
How much do GRE scores matter in your admissions review?
We only require GMAT or GRE scores for admission to the Global Impact Management MBA. If you’ve taken the exam and feel your scores would enhance your application, please feel free to submit them. Impressive exam results might increase your chances of receiving a merit-based scholarship.
Does applying early increase one’s chances of admission?
We accept applications on a rolling basis. However, we strongly recommend that those hoping to secure scholarship funding apply as early as possible.
How much does work experience matter?
Work experience is not required for admission to the Institute, though we’ll take it into consideration during the scholarship review. We’ve often found that experience in the field helps applicants clarify their professional objectives before making an investment in graduate school.
What types of recommendations are most effective?
One letter of recommendation is required, though two are preferred, and we encourage applicants to submit at least one from a professional contact. We read every letter, and they can be important when an applicant is on the borderline of admission. The strongest recommendation letters speak to the applicant’s character, teamwork abilities, and ability to perform in ways not otherwise demonstrated in the application.
Master’s Degree Program Options:
• Master of Public Administration (MPA)
• MA in International Environmental Policy
• MA in International Education Management
• MA in International Policy and Development
• MA in International Trade and Diplomacy
• MA in Nonproliferation and Terrorism Studies
• MBA in Global Impact Management
• MA in Teaching Foreign Languages
• MA in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
• MA in Translation
• MA in Translation and Interpretation
• MA in Conference Interpretation
• MA in Translation and Localization Management
• Joint MBA/MA in International Environmental Policy
• Joint MBA/MA in International Policy and Development
• Joint MPA/MA in International Education Management
• Joint BA/MA in International Policy and Development
• Joint BA/Master of Public Administration (MPA)
• Joint BA/MA in Nonproliferation and Terrorism Studies
Fall 2017 Application Deadlines: Varies. See deadline dates at http://www.miis.edu/admissions/apply/deadlines.
Standardized Exam Scores: GRE or GMAT required only for MBA program.
Recommendation Letters: One required; two preferred. One should be from a professional contact.
Application Checklist: http://go.miis.edu/apply
MIIS Admissions Office
- 2016 Applying to Grad School
- Johns Hopkins University, School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)
- Boston University, Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies
- American University, School of International Service (SIS)
- Columbia University, School of International and Public Affairs (Columbia SIPA)
- Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
- University of Notre Dame, Keough School of Global Affairs
- Texas A&M University, Bush School of Government and Public Service
- University of Denver, Josef Korbel School of International Studies