2016 Applying to Grad School
THIS GUIDE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. For the current FP Guide, click here.
Texas A&M University, Bush School of Government and Public Service
Amb. (ret.) Larry Napper, Senior Lecturer and current Admissions Chair for the Master of International Affairs (MIA) program
What characteristics make for a successful applicant to the Bush School?
Successful applicants have a strong academic background, adaptable skills, and a dedication to public service in all its forms. We look for those whom we believe we can help along the way, in academic as well as professional pursuits. We look for a solid education, relevant work experience, internships, volunteer or military service (or both), language skills, travel, and various other life experiences.
How much do GRE scores matter in your admissions review?
GRE scores are evaluated alongside GPA. We prefer to see GRE scores close to or above our average of 309, but there is room for leeway when a candidate has other promising attributes, particularly work experience and program fit.
Does applying early increase one’s chances of admission?
How much does work experience matter?
Our faculty members appreciate relevant job experience in a student’s background. Internship, travel, international interactions, and volunteer activities can also provide relevant experiences.
What types of recommendations are most effective?
The Bush School requires three letters of recommendation. They should be from those familiar with your academic achievement (faculty and advisers) or with your work experience, public service, or leadership attributes (supervisors, mentors, associates). For those who graduated from college within the past five years, we strongly encourage providing at least two academic references. For those who graduated more than five years prior, we encourage including at least one academic recommendation if possible.
Master’s Degree Program Options:
• Master of International Affairs
• Master of Public Service and Administration
• Executive Master of Public Service and Administration (online)
Fall 2017 Application Deadline: January 16, 2017, for admission priority and financial aid consideration. Final deadline: January 31, 2017.
Standardized Exam Scores: GRE (or GMAT) required
Recommendation Letters: Three required
Application Checklist: http://bush.tamu.edu/admissions/degree/requirements (Scroll to bottom of page.)
Kathryn Meyer or Stacy Hayes
Bush School Admissions
- 2016 Applying to Grad School
- Johns Hopkins University, School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)
- Boston University, Frederick S. Pardee School of Global Studies
- American University, School of International Service (SIS)
- Columbia University, School of International and Public Affairs (Columbia SIPA)
- Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey
- University of Notre Dame, Keough School of Global Affairs
- Texas A&M University, Bush School of Government and Public Service
- University of Denver, Josef Korbel School of International Studies