2021 Applying to Graduate School in International Affairs
THIS GUIDE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. For the current FP Guide, click here.
Texas A&M University, Bush School of Government & Public Service
Bush School DC Seeks Students with Passion for Public Service
The Bush School of Government & Public Service seeks students who share its vision that public service is a noble calling, for its new Washington, DC, location.
Opened in January and renovated in summer 2021, the Bush School DC is only two blocks from the White House.
The Bush School DC places a strong emphasis on a student’s motivation for graduate study in the fields of national security, intelligence, and international policy, says Jacqueline Linde, director of enrollment management, career, and student services.
“We learn a lot from a student’s statement of purpose and their demonstrated commitment to public service,” Linde says.
Successful applicants also will have an academic background in the social sciences and work experience in international affairs. This experience can be interpreted broadly and ranges from study abroad to professional experience in the field.
Mid-career professionals are a key market for the Bush School DC, because of its emphasis on public service, affordable tuition, and small class sizes, which lead to meaningful connections between students and faculty. Well-published scholars and seasoned practitioners from federal agencies lead classroom discussions, collaborate on research, and mentor students in and out of the classroom.
Many Bush School students look to a graduate degree as a path to their next position or as a way to switch industries.
The Master of International Policy program targets professionals with at least four years of work experience, and the Master of National Security and Intelligence is designed for early-career professionals or recent college graduates.
Preparing Students for Intelligence Community Careers
The Bush School DC is recruiting students who are interested in careers in national security and intelligence. Bush School alumni work in all sectors of the intelligence community: federal agencies including the Central Intelligence Agency and Department of Homeland Security, government consulting firms such as Booz Allen and Leidos, think tanks, and nonprofit organizations. When President George H.W. Bush (a former director of the CIA) established the Bush School in 1997, he wanted a concentration in intelligence studies as part of the curriculum.
Graduate Degree Program Options
• Master of International Policy (MIP)
• Master of National Security and Intelligence (MNSI)
Priority Application Deadlines
Spring 2022 (MIP): November 1, 2021
Fall 2022 (MIP and MNSI): February 1, 2022
After the priority deadlines, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the class is filled.
Standardized Exam Scores: The GRE or GMAT are recommended, but not required, for students with an undergraduate GPA lower than 3.0. For the Master of International Policy degree, an applicant’s work experience is given strong consideration.
Recommendation Letters: Two recommendations letters are required.
Application Checklist: http://bush.tamu.edu/dc
- 2021 Applying to Graduate School in International Affairs
- George Mason University, Schar School of Policy and Government
- American University, School of International Service
- Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies
- Yale University, Jackson Institute for Global Affairs
- Arizona State University, Thunderbird School of Global Management
- University of Notre Dame, Keough School of Global Affairs
- Texas A&M University, Bush School of Government & Public Service
- Princeton University, Princeton School of Public and International Affairs
- Carnegie Mellon University, Institute for Politics and Strategy
- University of Toronto, Munk School of Global Affairs & Public Policy
- Temple University, Klein College of Media and Communication