2022 Applying to Graduate School in International Affairs
THIS GUIDE IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. For the current FP Guide, click here.
Wanted: Applicants With Passion and Varied Perspectives
Passion, a global point of view, and past professional experience top the list of admissions criteria for the 2023–2024 school year at Arizona State University’s Thunderbird School of Global Management.
“We suggest applicants take their time in writing an application essay that allows Thunderbird’s admissions committee to understand what they can bring to their cohort,” says Sanjeev Khagram, director general and dean of the Thunderbird School.
The school was founded in the wake of World War II by Thunderbird Air Force pilots, who believed there was a better way to achieve peace. In the spirit of that mission, the school focuses on finding solutions for today’s global challenges to create a more peaceful world.
“Something we say all the time to our students is that ‘borders frequented by trade and diplomacy seldom need soldiers,’” says Khagram. “Given the state of things in Afghanistan, we can see this impact, or lack thereof, unfolding in real time.”
Khagram, himself a refugee from Uganda, says that the Thunderbird School values working with professionals who have a true dedication to public service, conflict resolution, and education for the vulnerable.
“At the Thunderbird School, it’s not about focusing on high salaries and impressive titles. It’s about passion, and we’re looking for students who feel the same,” he says.
Given the ongoing pandemic, Thunderbird is working more closely with fall 2022 applicants, Khagram says.
PROGRAM HIGHLIGHT | Washington, DC–based Executive MA in Global Affairs and Management
Thunderbird’s one-year Executive MA in Global Affairs and Management, based in Washington, DC, trains its students to have a global mindset and a combination of 21st-century hard and soft skills. For example, students in the program’s Global Challenge Lab spend three weeks working with a handful of classmates on a project tailored to the business needs of a real client (a company, nonprofit organization, university, or government agency) in another country. The students must manage a professional relationship with client executives and provide data and market analysis, strategy recommendations, and effective plans for sustained growth, then incorporate feedback from the client. Past projects include developing sourcing opportunities for glass and tableware products in Myanmar, and creating domestic and international marketing and sales strategies for a metal fabricator in Romania.
Graduate Degree Program Options
• Master of Leadership and Management (online)
• Master of Global Management (Phoenix and Accelerated 4+1 Phoenix)
• Executive MA in Global Affairs and Management (Washington, DC)
• Executive Master of Global Management (Arizona)
• Executive Master of Global Management: Space Leadership, Business, and Policy (Phoenix)
August 2023 start, applies to: Master of Global Management; Executive Master of Global Management; Executive MA in Global Affairs and Management
Early consideration deadline: October 30, 2022
International student deadline: March 30, 2023
Final deadline: June 30, 2023
January 2024 start, applies to: Master of Global Management; Executive Master of Global Management: Space Leadership, Business, and Policy
Early Consideration Deadline: June 30, 2023
International Student Deadline: October 30, 2023
Final Deadline: November 30, 2023
Master of Leadership & Management (online)
Application Deadline: 3 weeks prior to class start
Standardized Exam Scores: GRE or GMAT required. Waivers offered to qualified applicants based on years of prior work experience and GPA. Non-native English speakers may be required to take pre-degree English instruction to meet the needed level of proficiency.
Recommendation Letters: For most programs, at least one professional or academic reference, preferably from individuals with direct and recent knowledge of the applicant’s performance and potential.
Application Checklist: https://thunderbird.asu.edu
- 2022 Applying to Graduate School in International Affairs
- George Mason University, Schar School of Policy and Government
- Johns Hopkins University School of Advanced International Studies
- Yale University, Yale Jackson School of Global Affairs
- Arizona State University, Thunderbird School of Global Management
- Rice University, School of Social Sciences
- University of Notre Dame, Keough School of Global Affairs
- American University, School of International Service
- Indiana University, Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies
- Texas A&M University, Bush School of Government & Public Service
- University of Miami, Master of Arts in International Administration
- Princeton University, Princeton School of Public and International Affairs
- The Fletcher School at Tufts University
- University of Toronto, Munk School of Global Affairs & Public Policy
- Florida International University, Steven J. Green School of International & Public Affairs
- Carnegie Mellon University, Institute for Politics and Strategy